Thursday, May 26, 2005

Best Procrastination Ever


GemSimpson
Originally uploaded by gmblac.
Watching famous people become Simpsons characters always made me fantasise about having my own caricature made! So, when I saw Mel's entry today I was inspired to make my own self portrait at last.

Obviously (I'm holding a DVD and a remote), I have to have some kind of relationship with Comic Book Guy. Or with my side hair parting, I might be related to Dolph...

I'm thinking of my thesis too: there is an obvious connection to be drawn here with the potential motivations of some film-induced tourists - is drawing yourself as a Simpsons character similar to taking a photograph of yourself at a film location site? As James Preston has written about film-induced tourists:

"these tourists effectively integrate themselves into stories which already have collective capital, recognition, and understanding among their peer group and beyond. They in a way become a part of the film or television programme by visiting the locations where the film has been shot."

Both film-induced tourism and becoming a Simpsons character seem to represent ways of incorporating the spectator into the visual spectacle (and the narrative) of the moving image.

9 comments:

Gemma said...

An unsuccessful attempt at such incorporation occurs in an episode of the Simpsons when Lisa wants a special lock-up diary for her birthday and it's sold-out so Homer decides to have a movie made starring her:

(Lisa's face is pasted on a cowgirl's body.)
Cowgirl: Howdy, pardners! My name is sheriff...
Homer voiceover: Lisa Simpson!
Cowgirl: I sure am hungry for my favorite food...
Homer voiceover: McNuggets!
Lisa: I don't like McNuggets! I'm a vegetarian!
Homer: Still? Well then you're not gonna like your other present!
(A wrapped turkey)
(In the film a cowboy rides up)
Cowgirl: Why it's my best friend...
Homer voiceover: Maggie!
Lisa: Huh?
Bartender: Bad news sheriff...
Homer voiceover: Lisa Simpson!
Bartender: Some Indians took all the...
Homer voiceover: McNuggets! Mmmm McNuggets... haughughalughalugh!
Cowgirl: I'll get those no good Indians, just as sure as my favorite book is...
Homer voiceover: Magazines! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Bart voiceover: Wake up, Dad!
Homer voiceover: Wha wha wha wha wha?

Mel said...

Hee! Hee-hee! I just love this picture.

Anyway, I have done my own - check my blog.

Gemma said...

Hmmm, the life-as-a-movie-montage is a cool idea, I think that if I was cutting out scenes for this period of my life I would need to dip into Barton Fink a lot (the wall staring bits!).

Perhaps the movie should last as long as your life lasts (a la Borges)?

Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://lzybkjfy.com/ddxr/iyeb.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lwxqiuee.com/fyju/mxqz.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://lzybkjfy.com/ddxr/iyeb.html | http://abwjudfi.com/ukro/scbc.html

Anonymous said...

churchil
l car insurance

car insurance houston
churchil
l car insurance

compare car insurance rate
cheap car insurance for young driver
cheap online car insurance quote
young driver car insurance
auto cheap insurance
direct line car insurance
geico car insurance
car
insurance philadelphia

new jersey car insurance
geico car insurance
admiral car insurance
diamond car insurance
online car insurance
nationwide car insurance
young driver car insurance
auto insurance company
low car insurance
direct line car insurance
car insurance for mexico
norwich union car insurance
direct car insurance
nj car insurance
aig car insurance
direct line car insurance
cheap car insurance quote uk
online car insurance rate
low car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
tesco car insurance

Anonymous said...

Great blog very informative re allstate car insurance. In a simliar vain to allstate car insurance would definitely recommend http://www.bargainplace.co.uk for **cheap car insurance** or **cheap home insurance**, even **cheap pet insurance**

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol tramadol can you snort - buy tramadol